Best Science Work

Hi guys,

I am sharing with you guys a Moli (bird) Bolus report that we wrote in science from our field trip. Enjoy!

What does an Albatross bolus reveal about them it’s diet? In the bolus,  I found a lot of plastic pieces, squid beaks, and fishing lines. The teacher was Mr. Evan and for my partner I had was Ava from 8th grade. We found a lot of things that I wouldn’t think Moli would eat their diet. There was a lot of brown stuff in there that I didn’t know what it was.

My hypothesis was there was going to be plastic caps and pieces. Also, there was a lot of shiny plastic wrappers because they like shiny stuff. It was grosser than I thought. I also thought there was going to be styrofoam and just a lot of litter in the bolus.

The first direction he told us to do what find a partner and sit across of them. Then, he told us to open the paper to reveal the bolus so we can sort it. The smell went from a cinnamon cookie smell to a stinky smell. Then he told us to take turns sorting natural and man-made items into two separate piles. Then after we sorted most of it and washed our hands and talked about what we found.

I found a lot of plastic items in the Moli bolus. There was a lot of fishing lines and glass also. The natural was the brown dirt and squid beaks. Something’s in the Moli I didn’t really know what it was. One group found a rock shaped item in their bolus. Another group found candy wrappers but, all of us found squid beaks.

I was mostly right on what we found like plastic pieces, shiny wrapper, and glass. I was surprised to see squid beaks and brown stuff in the bolus. Almost every group had fishing line and squid beaks in their bolus. But, everyone had some different thing in our bolus.

Now I know when I go to the beaches, parks, and ETC I know to pick up litter even though it isn’t mine. So, I can help protect the Moli and help the eat less trash. Also, we learned every single piece of trash matters. Also, I did it during the summertime when there was a bag floating in the water I picked it up and threw it away. Also, people just watch the bag float into the ocean when it’s like 2 inches away from them.

Bye!